Commuter Check* is a benefit available to SF State employees that helps you save on your commute. The benefit works by allowing you to deduct up to $265 monthly out of your paycheck pretax to use for your commute to and from work when you use public transportation. The money can be redeemed straight to a Clipper Card or onto a Commuter Check prepaid MasterCard that you can use to purchase your usual transit pass.
How do I sign up
1. Create an account at http://www.commutercheckdirect.com and select New User Signup from the menu on the left page.
2. Enter 1095 for the company ID
3. Enter your information for enrollment verification: Name, Last Name and Zip Code
6. Select a transit product to load on to your Clipper Card or enter the load amount if you have selected the MasterCard option.
7. After selecting the product you need for your commute, choose from the different recurring billing options.
8. When finished, simply select checkout!
9. After completing your order with Commuter Check, please visit the Parking and Transportation office located on North State Drive, Corporation Yard and fill out a payroll deduction form indicating the amount that you have elected to have deducted each month.
You may elect to deduct up to $255 pretax each month from your paycheck. You may elect to deduct more than this maximum amount, but deductions exceeding $255 per month will be deducted from your post-tax income.
Please feel free to reach out to Parking and Transportation with any questions by calling 415-338-2746 or by emailing email@example.com.
Learn more on Parking's website http://parking.sfsu.edu/home.
*Please note, faculty cannot place orders on Commuter Check for months when they will not be receiving a paycheck since they are not commuting to SF State during that time. Student workers and hourly employees are not eligible for the benefit.
Please be advised that Commuter Check Program is a pre-tax transit benefit available to active SF State employees only. Once an employee separates from employment with SF State, any funds remaining in the Commuter Check MasterCard account can only be used until the end of that benefit month. You may transfer funds to a Clipper Card up to the maximum Clipper card value of $300 . At the end of said month, the MasterCard becomes inactive and the remaining balance shall be forfeited per IRS Code § 1.132–9.